Proof-of-Concept Biometric Authentication System

I’m a big fan of biometric authentication, if only because of my innate laziness and unwillingness to remember passwords. It was only natural, then, that I tried to make one myself as part of my coursework project—to see what pitfalls biometrics had in store and to learn how to work with it in the first place. Continue reading Proof-of-Concept Biometric Authentication System

Lua: Metatable OOP

Lua has long been hailed as a very flexible language that allows programmers to create features they need from it even if those features do not exist by default. One such notable feature is an object-oriented paradigm that can be implemented in Lua using metatable manipulations. By request of friends, this post will give some basic insight into how this is done. Continue reading Lua: Metatable OOP

Regex: Grouping expressions of a kind

I was recently presented with a task: I had a CSV database dump that I had to turn back into MySQL queries of a different format. My toolset was everything that Sublime Text 3 had to offer (which is a lot of great tools) – though eventually it was narrowed down to a plugin and ST3’s macro functionality – and the awesome power of regular expressions. As I was working on this task, however, I ran into a problem which took me a few hours to resolve – but its solution is interesting, and in my opinion deserving of an article. Continue reading Regex: Grouping expressions of a kind

Ruby: Extracting ACDSee Metadata

So I’ve recently taken to using the Ruby programming language for writing utility scripts, not for any practical purpose, but because the language looks interesting and I want to try it out. I feel like this utility script might be useful to someone else, so I decided to publish it. It’s a script that extracts embedded and sidecar ACDSee metadata from images – keywords in this case – and stores it in an easy-to-use hash. Continue reading Ruby: Extracting ACDSee Metadata